Director of Preconstruction
November 24, 2021
We’re seeking a candidate to lead our Preconstruction Team.
Candidates should possess a bachelor’s degree in construction management or related construction field. The primary role of this position is to lead the preconstruction and project planning team including oversight of preconstruction staff. Leadership responsibilities include overall department resources management, process improvement, and cross-departmental coordination with construction operations. Technical capabilities include construction cost estimating, scheduling, logistical planning, and procurement. The focus will be on large and medium-sized commercial construction projects in Michigan and throughout North America.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine the scope of work and required contents of the cost estimate. Lead document control and organization through the preconstruction/planning process.
- Lead, with assistance from multiple resources, the development of construction cost estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work.
- Support other department personnel as required, may include preparing estimates in other disciplines.
- Working alongside other team members, develop conceptual project schedules and logistical plans to inform the preconstruction and planning process.
- Meet directly with clients and end-users throughout the design process to develop and update preconstruction plans.
- Work closely with architectural and engineering partners throughout the preconstruction process.
- Coordinate with self-perform trade staff to develop preconstruction plans, estimates, and track/report project productivity results. Self-performed trades include sitework, selective demolition, steel, carpentry, interior framing, drywall, painting and firestopping.
- Effectively communicate and network with local and national trade partners.
- Educational and experience requirements include; Minimum 4-year architectural technology, construction and or engineering degree or equivalent combinations technical training and/or experience, 5 – 10 years of direct experience in commercial construction estimating or operations, MBA a plus.
- Direct experience with the Design / Build, General Contracting and Construction Management model of project delivery.
- Ability to read and interpret construction documents and technical drawings.
- Proficiency in digital estimating software (On-Screen Takeoff, Timberline) or a willingness to learn required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with emphasis on Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- Proficiency in Bluebeam or Adobe required.